For the last 6 years, over 200 Venturer Scouts have participated in the Mawson Scholarship in Leadership. This week- long course provided participants the opportunity to learn about themselves and to both work in and lead a team. Two courses were held annually in a variety of locations. The program has created a strong alumni of participants, with many currently providing dynamic leadership in a diverse range of roles across Scouting in Australia.
Why Change to a new program?
The World Organisation of the Scout Movement (WOSM) has developed a new Youth Involvement policy to ensure National Scout Organisations (NSOs) recognise the value of involving young people in decision making to achieve the Purpose of Scouting. Today, Scouting is a Movement of young people, supported by adults with young people actively involved at all levels both within the movement and in society. By achieving this, we empower our young people to ‘create a better world.’
Therefore, Scouts Australia must move to a new level and create more opportunities for our youth members to develop both leadership, 21st century learning and community engagement skills. Our world continues to change and so we need to keep up to date to ensure our youth members are appropriately skilled and Scouting is seen as a key youth organisation.
This newly revised Scouts Australia Leadership Program (based on the strengths of the former Mawson program) aims to:
- Provide a 3-year program that takes key participants on a dynamic leadership journey providing a diversity of opportunities and experiences to learn 21st century skills in leadership, relationships skills and to understand who they are and their role in their community
- Keep these dynamic youth leaders engaged in Scouting
- Provide a national network for participants
- Develop a team willing and able to assist in the leadership of Australian Scouting
How will this be achieved?
Recognising that to lead effectively a person must develop strong interpersonal skills, con dence and an ability to em- power others through delegation, inspiration and motivation. The course will be structured around developing emo- tional intelligence (EQ), enabling participants to develop the skills necessary to effectively communicate, build teams and complete goals.
The course will improve alumni retention and participant capabilities by:
- Investing wisely in participants by creating an application process that recognises natural talent, emerging leadership qualities and experience.
- Designing a course to build on existing talents, improving EQ skills, developing con dence and structured goal setting.
- Providing significant Branch and National support for the Alumni that ensures they have opportunities to continueto build skills and attain set goals with specifc mentoring and coaching post course.
- Providing ongoing opportunities for key participants over a 3-year cycle.
Leadership opportunities offered to alumni post course will ensure these skills are honed and developed so that all participants have ample opportunity to participate within the Branch, National, International Scouting and their wider communities. This will be done through programmed and spontaneous opportunities to take on leadership roles, work as a member of strategic teams and be provided with strong mentoring and support. Selected participants will attend future courses as mentors, tutors and ultimately as course facilitators.
Find out more by downloading the information booklet here.
Are you ready to get involved? Register now to participate in You!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.