Prepare to become
An Adult Volunteer
Learn new skills, enjoy adventure and meet new friends while making a difference to young people in your local community!
We warmly welcome new members, young and old. We’ve been around since 1908 and more than 2 billion people have benefited from the Scouting globally.
You don’t need to have any Scouting experience, but you may need to keep up with some adventurous people and their adrenaline-packed adventures!
Check it out. It’s life-changing!
Adults in Scouting support the youth to become the leaders of tomorrow. As an adult in Scouting you will have many opportunities to grow, have adventures, make new friends!
You’ll be able to help lead activities with other Scouting members, in addition to other community members, and make a difference in young people’s lives. This means a Working with Children Check for all over 18’s, but it’s a small price to pay for the rewards of leadership. You’ll also have opportunities to bring about positive change in your community.
We stand for adventure, international peace, and understanding and we value inclusion, social relations, and equality. There are 50 million Scouts in the world today. Over the past 116 years more than 1 billion have enjoyed this continuously innovative program. Scouts is learning by doing, in the outdoors, and in small teams.
“You get to meet such a diverse group of people through Scouting.”
“Scouting teaches a sense of community!”
“Just get up and out into nature and fresh air!”
“The more energy that you put in, the more you get out of it!”
“Scouting is one big family!”
Adults undertake many fun activities with the youth on a weekly basis. You work with your team to support the youth in learning new skills through the Scouts system. That means the young people lead, and you are their mentor. You might experience kayaking, canyoning, hiking, camping in the snow or even planning an international expedition. There are heaps of international travel experiences to become involved in, with contingents leaving Australia every year to Scouting events in all parts of the globe. Depending on the age group you will provide more or less hands-on guidance. Supporting the youth program can be very rewarding!
This is how some adults describe their colleagues:
• Passionate, motivated, enthusiastic and energetic.
• Someone who’s happy to take advice, work with their team and communicate well.
• Being fun, being engaged, being a great communicator is an important part.
• Someone who’s willing to give it a go, willing to learn, demonstrate that they can organise their time.
Adult Leaders wear a button up navy blue shirt. They will also be given a scarf and badges to sew on the uniform when they join. Most adventurous activities won’t require you to wear a uniform, just appropriate clothing. When you first talk to your local Scout Group members about joining, they will give you information about what to wear and bring to your first meeting. Not all adults in Scouting wear a uniform – you might choose to support Scouting as a Helper, an Office Bearer, Committee member, as a Leader in a specialised area or you might be support young people and the youth program!
Should you need one, you can buy your Scout uniform at Scout Shop.
Child Safe Scouting
The number one priority for Scouts Australia is Child Safe Scouting.
- All Leaders are thoroughly screened, undergo the relevant State checks, and must hold a valid, verified Working with Children check.
- Adult Leaders receive comprehensive, ongoing training across a range of subjects including leadership, WHS, and child protection.
- At least one person trained in first aid attends all major events.
- At least two adults are present at all meetings and events.
- We will liaise with you to ensure we have the information necessary to cater for your child’s individual medical, physical and dietary requirements.
- All Scouts Australia Branches have teams of people responsible for child safety who action any concerns that parents or children may have regarding safety.
To join Scouts contact your State Branch by calling 1800 SCOUTS (1800 726 887) or
Explore Our Sections
Scouts Australia provides fun youth development activities, building resilient and confident boys and girls aged 5 to 25 in the Joey Scout, Cub Scout, Scout, Venturer Scout and Rover Scout Sections. We also welcome adult volunteer Scout Leaders. Scouts has opportunities for the whole family to be involved. Everyone is welcome, and we value the diversity of our members. Find out more about the Section of Scouting that is best for you here.