As part of a worldwide organisation, Scouts Australia engages and inspires young people to develop confidence, resilience and leadership. At the same time, Scouts is fun! Young people will make lots of friends while doing heaps of new things, some of them once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. Our focus is on fun, and, unique to our program, we make sure Scouts are ‘learning by doing.’
Instead of learning in a formal way, Scouts get ‘hands on’, tackling projects in small groups or teams – we call them patrols. Being engaged and involved, making decisions and learning from mistakes form part of the ‘action’ as young people ‘learn by doing’ and are guided and advised by trained adults. Our youth leading, adults supporting model, ensures that our members develop into active citizens with all the skills and experience required to achieve in their future personal and professional lives.
We provide an experience that is all about
- connecting with the outdoors
- building new and existing friendships
- learning new skills
- helping to create a better world.
A young person will join their age-appropriate section at their local Scout Group. There will be weekly meetings, usually based around school terms. Each meeting is jam-packed with activities such as games, craft, learning outdoor skills, earning badges, or planning upcoming expeditions! Within the term, and sometimes in the holidays, there will also be additional optional activities such as bush walks, camps and other age-appropriate interesting outings such as rock climbing, rafting, canoeing, sailing, community service and even flying.
What’s Included In Your Membership?
- When young people or adults join Scouts, they become members of their local Scout Group and Scouts Australia.
- Membership fees are charged by the local Scout Group once a year, or once a term, depending on the Group.
- Each Group’s fees are set by the Group, and cover each Scout for insurance, upkeep of facilities and equipment as well as the continual improvements to the Scouts Australia program.
- Some activities will incur additional costs such as transport, food or entry fees but these are charged as they occur and these activities are optional.
- We aim to keep costs to families as low as possible, so you’ll probably be surprised at the value Scouts offers!
EXPLORE OUR SECTIONS
Scouts Australia provides fun youth development activities, building resilient and confident boys and girls aged 6 to 25 in the Joey Scout, Cub Scout, Scout, Venturer Scout and Rover Scout Sections. We also welcome adult volunteer Scout Leaders. Scouts has opportunities for the whole family to be involved. Everyone is welcome, and we value the diversity of our members. Find out more about the Section of Scouting that is best for you here.